Where did this year go? It is hard to believe the year is three-quarters of the way over! You know what that means, right? The holiday season is just around the corner. To alleviate some of the stress that is inherent with too much to do and too little time, start early and reframe your mind with some of the tips below. The more you do now, the less you have to worry about then, and less worry equals less stress.
My goal as a professional organizer is to chaos into tranquility, and this is particularly important during the holidays. I hope you can enjoy the holidays this year and in the years to come.
Below are tips that may help make your holidays a little less stressed. I encourage you to take control of your environment versus allowing your environment to control you.
Five Tips to Enjoy Your Holiday Season
- Identify what is most important to you. What is your vision of the season? Make decisions this season that are in alignment with that vision.
- Be realistic about your finances. Love is not measured by price tags or the number of gifts under the tree. Stay within your budget and do not overextend yourself by impulse or guilt buying.
- If you are stressed out due to family dynamics or social situations, try to reframe your thinking. You cannot control others but you CAN control your reaction to others. If there are toxic people in your life that you cannot avoid, limit your interactions and time with them.
- Create your own traditions. If you are pulled in too many directions with extended family obligations, consider lovingly advising those who demand your time that you are starting your own family traditions this year and invite them to participate, if you so choose.
- This is YOUR holiday, too. Limit stress by planning ahead. Implement effective time management techniques. Ask for help. Simplify gift giving. Do not over commit. Remember the reason for the season.